Veterans Society of William & Mary logo
Brushed Metal Texture
Home About/History News Blog Photos Prospective Students (aka FAQ) Membership Info Members Links

Frequently Asked Questions for prospective and current students

Key Resources:

Source Contact Name Contact Phone# Email
1 Admissions Kimberly Van Deusen 757-221-3859
2 VA Certifying Official/Registrar Kimberly Momballou 757-221-2806
3 Financial Aid Office Amy Sikes 757-221-2422
4 Student Accounts Manager Barbara Heberling 757-221-1222
5 Academic Advisor Jobilia Williams 757-221-2483
6 Academic Advisor Harvey Langholtz 757-221-3880
  1. Admissions
  2. VA Benefits, GI Bill, and Financial Aid
  3. Room and Board
  4. Special Graduate/Law School Benefits

I. Admissions

1.) 1.) How do I apply?
You should contact Kimberly Van Deusen for questions not covered on this website.

2.) When Should I apply?
This depends on when you are ready to enter William& Mary. Some enter in the fall semester, others in the spring. For admission deadlines visit

3.) Do I need to take the SATs or any other standardized tests?
No. Students don’t need SAT scores if they’ve been out of high school for more than 5 years or have completed at least a year of full-time college course work. If you already took the SATs, you do not need to submit them. Visit
- You should also contact an admissions official, Kimberly Van Deusen, if you have questions not covered on this website.

4.) My high school grades aren’t that great. Can I still get into William & Mary? What can I do?
If your high school grades are not so great you may still be able to get in. However, you will still have to prove yourself. William & Mary is very challenging and admissions officials need to be confident that you can perform well academically. To demonstrate this in you application, you may enroll in a full time academic course load at a community college. It is recommended that you earn excellent grades at whatever institution you transfer from. Such grades more accurately reflect your current ability to succeed in a demanding academic environment like William & Mary.

II. VA Benefits, GI Bill, and Financial Aid

5.) Does the Veterans Society offer any Scholarships?
Yes. Thanks to support from the Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance, we offer members who are currently attending William and Mary full time a maximum scholarship of $1,000 and $500 for books and supplies. We are currently working to expand this scholarship.
-To be eligible for the scholarship, you must be an active member of the Society. To apply, send a copy of your financial aid determination letter and any additional financial aid documents found on the banner website which state how much aid you are currently receiving and what your costs of attendance are.
-In addition, you must write a personal statement. In this statement you should introduce yourself, describe your background in the Armed Forces, what you are currently doing at William and Mary, and how the scholarship will help yourself and other veterans.
-Once complete, either turn in all applicable documents to an Officer of the Veterans Society at the next meeting or send them electronically to the Veterans Society email account, with “Scholarship” in the subject.

6.) I still need to file for VA disability benefits/compensation. Is there a place I can go at William and Mary for help?
Yes, through the Helping Military Veterans (HMV) program. There is a Veterans Benefits Clinic at the William and Mary Law School to assist veterans with the filing, adjudication and appeal of service-related disability compensation claims. A designated area is not yet up and operational, but you may call (757)221-3780 or write to

7.) Where can I go for counseling services?
You may visit the William & Mary Counseling Center. *You must make a reservation for an appointment*. (see Key Resources at top under Dr. Hudgins) You may also visit the William and Mary Counseling Center Website . *You must make a reservation for an appointment*.

8.) Where could I go if I wanted to speak with someone experienced in helping veterans?
In addition to the benefits clinic at William and Mary, VCU's Center for Psychological Services and Development will provide free assessment, counseling and referrals to veterans as part of the HMV program. Contact Helen Shepard at 804-828-9238

9.) What kind of VA benefits are available?

10.) Where can I go to sign up to use my GI Bill on the William and Mary Campus?
You must follow two steps to start receiving your post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). First, you must apply for eligibility for Chapter 33 in order to receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. You may do this online or through standard mail. Visit to apply online or for information on how to apply using a hardcopy form. A hardcopy application may be obtained at
Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, give it to Kim Momballou in the Registrar’s Office in Blow Memorial Hall on Richmond Road (across from WaWa). Although William and Mary does not currently have a VA representative, Kim is William and Mary’s registering official for VA education benefits. Kim may be reached at 757-221-2806 or .
To apply for Chapter 32 benefits, send Kim a copy of your DD-214.

11.) Which VA Education benefit should I use
To determine which benefit is most beneficial to you, talk to a VA education case worker. Kim Momballou is also another valuable resource in this decision process. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is an excellent benefit, but it may not necessarily be the best benefit for everybody. It is also an excellent idea to talk with someone in the William & Mary financial aid office about other financial aid that you may be eligible for. You can also call 1-800-GIBILL-1

12.) What are the main benefits of the Chapter 33 GI Bill?
A book stipend per academic year (that is broken down per semester) - Full payment of tuition and fees -A living stipend at the rate of an E-5 with dependents. Go to -For a list of VA FAQs, click here

13.) I have already used all of my Chapter 32 GI Bill benefits. Can I still use the Chapter 33 Post-9/11 Bill?
Yes. You may be eligible for 12 months of Post-9/11 benefits:

III. Room and Board

14.) Should I live on or off campus?
This depends on many factors: if you are single, married, have children, if you plan on staying in Williamsburg year round, and what your personal preferences are. William & Mary does not provide family housing, but there are many off campus options available. Each veteran should weigh the costs and benefits of living on campus versus living off campus based on their circumstances. Speak with residence life for further information and/or go to

15.) I want to live off campus. Where should I look?
There are many options in the Williamsburg area. The key to finding a great place to live is balancing price with quality. We recommend you use the Student Information Network (SIN) to search for roommates and housing offers. The SIN is a very valuable resource. You can also view apartment ratings in Williamsburg and decide for yourself. However, it should be noted that the SIN website will be undergoing changes December 2009.
You can view apartment ratings in Williamsburg and decide for yourself here.

16.) Should I buy a meal plan?
This will largely depend on if you will be living on or off campus. There is less flexibility with a meal plan, which is more expensive than making your own meals.

IV. Graduate/Law School

17.) Are there any benefits I can use as a post-graduate student?
Yes. Thanks to the efforts of the Veterans Society, William and Mary has signed on to the Yellow Ribbon Program: . To qualify, you must meet the eligibility requirements for the Chapter 33 GI Bill. Check your certificate of eligibility to see if you are eligible then direct to financial aid’s website page.